Tuesday, April 17, 2012

So I thank all 64 of you who visited our blog on the first day. It's apparent that there are a lot of us in the same or similar boat. Though my living situation is working for us presently, I really don't know what the future will bring on that front. My bigger concern for the immediate future is what I'm going to do with Blake next year when he graduates from high school. Unfortunately, there isn't any options for him in my community. I find that incredibly hard to believe, but it's true. Nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. I guess I've made my point. So as usual, I guess it's going to be up to me to figure something out to do. So, I've been thinking.... Something my husband says is a dangerous thing. LOL. But I really don't have a choice. HE CAN'T STAY HOME ALL DAY. So what should we do? Well, he likes to cook and bake. His favorite item to cook is quiche. It's fairly easy, and with assistance of course, he does quite well. He also likes to bake cupcakes, cookies and cakes. He isn't independent enough to work for anyone other than me. Do I have to open a shop? Do I have to start a business just to give my son a purpose in life? These are some of the thoughts that I've been having lately. What are your thoughts? What are your adult children doing to keep themselves busy all day? Have any of you started anything like a day program or cottage industry? Please comment!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered approaching a local restaurant to ask if your son could provide special cupcakes for them to sell? He could deliver every other day, when they open. Maybe an independent bakery would hire your son for a couple of hours each week. Another idea would be to ask at a police station or private school in your area if you could place a vending machine in the building (BJ's, Sam's, etc. sell them.). Stock them with the cupcakes and have your son move out unsold cakes and put in new every couple of days. You could even put a sign on the machine that they provide work for an ASD person, and maybe even get a couple of the new plastic indiv. cupcake holders for lunchboxes to put in the machine. Can you freeze the quiche. I know Publix sometimes takes on an independent vendor. Their website has info.

Anonymous said...

I am not going to say much because I am not much of a blogger however, let's just say I can relate to everything you have said, are saying and have thought the same exact thoughts. I am only 46 but you can multiply Blake by three in our household.
Keep blogging as your blogs help me by letting me know I am not the only one who thinks we need to get moving on living choices, employment options, etc etc etc...

Snaccers said...

I love your ideas. Next year, when Blake is out of school, I may go around to the local restaurants and see if they would like to try Blake's cupcakes