Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A little radical?

Last Friday, I did something quite radical. I got a tatoo. Not a little butterfly on my ankle or a petite flower on my back easily hidden from the public. No, I got a rather large autism ribbon on my arm. Big and bold in all it's blue, red and yellow technicolor glory. It wasn't an impulsive decision. I had been thinking about it for almost a year. I'd would have probably gotten it sooner, only I was scared of the pain. I had even researched numbing agents. But when it came down to getting it, I decided that I wanted to feel it. Every scratch, pinch and poke. And it hurt. Not unbearingly, more annoyingly than anything. Especially, at the end when my arm was getting sore. It's actually more of annoyance now as it goes through the healing process. And it's much larger than I had originally imagined because it had to be to get all that intricate puzzle-piece detail into it as explained to me by the tattoo artist. So the $64,000 question that everyone, even my husband, keeps asking me, is why did I need to get this? Why would a 55 year old not very "tattooish" type person feel compelled to get this? I do confess I have another small tattoo gotten many years ago. But in general, I don't think anyone would peg me for the type. And here is the best answer I can give, because, to be honest, I don't think I really understand it completely myself: Autism has been an overriding theme in my life. Not only have I been living it 24-7 since my son was diagnosed in 1993, but it is my chosen profession which I selected many years before that. And I can't quite get my head around the fact that even though, it is widely known that 1 out of 88 children are being diagnosed with it in the year 2012, it's not the most important topic discussed on every TV, newspaper, blog, or any other media outlet. What the heck? If there was an epidemic of something else that appeared to be growing and growing year after year which had the affect of a life long possibly debilitating result which would require a society to basically support an entire entity of 1 out of 88 individuals wouldn't this be a huge thing? Remember the bird flu or swine flu thing? H1N1? I just can't understand it. Do the other 87 families really think their lives won't be affected at all? Oh really? Don't they pay taxes? And are we any closer to understanding what causes it? It seems that I read about another theory every week. But I'm not sure that in my lifetime we will know what is going on and how to stop it. And that makes me very sad. So that's one reason I got my tat. I'm sure there are multiple other reasons which I will be blogging about soon I'm sure.

6 comments:

Arthur Golden said...

I just learned about your blog through your message to autismlist. I plan to look at youn earlier posts and comment on them.

Arthur Golden, father of 40 year-old nonverbal autistic son Ben, who has lived at home with both parents for past 16 years in Israel (but born and mostly educated in Boston, MA USA)

Snaccers said...

Great-I'd love your comments

karen said...

I have an issue I would like to know if anyone else is dealing with and that is sleep. My Son who is 25 years old has gotten so much worse with his sleep habits and it is killing me. he gets up umpteenth times a night and strips himself naked and stands over myself or my husband until we wake up and after we redress him or change his clothes completely because he says he's wet which sometimes he is one dribble wet or not at all and he wants a different outfit on. if he doesn't wake us up he tries to change his own clothes and will take out many clothes trying to put them on and when he can't get them on right he goes for more clothes and they are everywhere. then after getting redressed he is wide awake and doesn't fall back asleep. then of course the next day he is tired and by 630 at night he wants to go to bed. if we don't put him to bed he falls asleep on the couch or floor or wherever. even if we put him to bed late he still gets up. and if he falls back asleep during the night his day begins at 5:30. of course one of us has to get up with him because if not he gets into all types of trouble. any solutions to this would be helpful. we have had some temporary luck with the reward system but then that gets old and no longer works. we are supposed to go away to our future inlaws summer house with them in 2 weeks and I am dreading it. between him peeing in the shower and getting up all night and walking around naked. I wonder if I am being a fool to even consider doing this. Besides being exhausted I am irritable from lack of sleep.

Joan said...

If I see one more commercial by Autism Speaks about how many have autism instead of what organizations and individuals can do to improve the future for those with autism I am going to scream!!!

Snaccers said...

I get it! I agree.

Snaccers said...

Did you go? I'm curious. I stopped traveling with my son-it was too stressful