Thursday, August 9, 2012

We've Come A Long Way Baby-Or Not

Having an autism ribbon tattooed on my arm has made me a walking billboard for autism awareness. Especially because it is summer, and I am wearing a lot of sleeveless shirts (good excuse to show off my new tat). Lots of people come up to me and say, “Nice tattoo.” Then I ask them if they know what it stands for. Guess what? I would say that it’s running about 70/30. Meaning that approximately 70% of the people that comment on my tattoo do not know what it means. Some people have guessed that its purpose is to raise gay pride awareness. Oops.



More than being able to identify the meaning of the ribbon, I'm still explaining what autism is. You would think with autism affecting one out of 54 guys and one out of 88 individuals in general, pretty much everybody would know what autism is by this time. Nope. I guess I'm going to have to go back to the time when I used to send families little cards that would talk about autism issues so that they could hand them out to people when they would look at our kids like they needed a good spanking.

I suppose my assumption that everyone knows about autism is due to the fact that autism consumes my life. I know what the ribbon stands for-how come you don’t know? Well, I decided to give my little arrogant attitude a test: I went online and I researched awareness ribbons. Then I checked to see which ones that I could identify. See if your score compares with mine.

Note: several of the colors stand for several causes, so my list below is nowhere near inclusive

Purple: Domestic Violence, Alzheimers and Lupus Awareness. Did I know this? Nope

Green: Cerebral Palsy, Celiac and Kidney Cancer Awareness. Again, my score was 0.

Red: Aids and Heart Disease Awareness. Shame on me. Didn't know this one either.

Pink: We all know this one, right. What a great example of a wonderful public awareness campaign. Statistics of the incidence of breast cancer are around 12% of women will get breast cancer. That equates to approximately 1 in 8 women.

Turquoise: Ovarian Cancer-If you read my book, you will know why I am kicking myself about not knowing this one.

And my favorite: Grey: Zombie Awareness. How could have not recognized this one? Oh, and also, Diabetes.

So this little exercise told me a lot-about myself as well as the society I live in. We ALL need to open our eyes to others. We can't live in our own little universe. Yes, I have a child with autism, but there are many other people out there with lots of other issues as well.

And most importantly, we need to continue to increase public awareness of autism. Our job is not done. Not that I am advocating that you go to extreme measures and embellish your body with an autism ribbon, however, I will take advantage of these hot summer days to continue to flaunt mine in hopes of spurning some conversation.

No comments: