Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Just the Greatest GFCF Bread Ever

I realize that this is a little off topic for this blog. However, I just had to share. So here's the back story:

For the past 18 years, I have been involved in preparing gluten and dairy-free meals for my son, Blake. For many of those years, Blake has been soy, corn, artificial flavorings/colors free as well. Oh and nitrate-free, too. Probably some other "free" thing as well that I can't think of right now.

To add to this history, I have become enamored with baking for the past 3 years or so. Blake enjoys it as well. In fact, it's the first thing other than laundry and housekeeping that I can honestly tell you that he has excelled at and loves. Though I don't bake GFCF only, I have been doing a great deal of experimenting. And recently, we (meaning Blake and I), have come up with the absolute best, beyond a shadow of a doubt, GFCF bread that you will find anywhere.


I really put this bread to the challenge against any other GFCF bread, homemade or store bought. I know that sounds quite arrogant, and I don't like to brag, but it is really great. Very rarely can you get a baked product that non-GFCF people like. THIS IS THE ONE. And, on top of it, it's incredibly healthy. I have made it for several GFCF people that I bake for, and they are in disbelief that it is GFCF. It's also corn and soy free as well.

The original recipe came from Kim at her blog called Gluten Free Real Food. She supplied a basic recipe but had so many options that could be used that you really end up with totally different tastes in the breads depending on which milks, flours and fats you select. I am going to supply you with the recipe the way I finally perfected it, but if you want to see the original recipe with all the variations, here is the link:


So without further ado, I bring you the recipe. Even if you haven't ever baked bread, it's not hard. It is ingredient-heavy, meaning there are a lot of ingredients in it, but not difficult.

Wet Ingredients:
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
1 1/3 cup rice milk warmed to body temperature
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
3 tablespoons brown sugar

Flours:
1/2 cup of millet flour
1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
1 cup of teff flour
1/2 cup of tapioca starch
1/2 cup of potato starch

The remaining ingredients:
3 tablespoons xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast (the equivalent of one package)

Directions:
Mix the wet ingredients together. Add the flours and the remaining ingredients. Stir together until the mixture is all blended.

Using a dough hook on your stand or hand-held mixer, knead for 2 minutes.

Note: If you are a seasoned bread baker, be aware that this mixture is very loose and does not come together into one ball like traditional bread dough. It's a cross between a bread mixture and a cake mixture.

Spray 2 small or one large loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour mixture into pans. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap, and put it into your oven that has been warmed just a teeny tiny bit (I set the oven to 170 degrees and then turn it off. Then I open the door to let most of the hot air out before I put the pans in. It should be just a warm oven that has been turned off and most of the hot air has escaped).


Let the bread mixture rise in the pans for approximately 40-60 minutes. The mixture should now come up to the top of the pans:


Take the pans out of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes or until the loaves are cooked.

Take them out of the pans immediately. Let them sit for 10-15 minutes and then slice. YUM!!





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds great! I have a question though... any idea if this recipe can be done on a breamaker machine? I'm not a seasoned baker, don't own a mixer, but do make bread on the breakmaker for my son. ;)

Snaccers said...

Yes I do. Here are the directions for a bread machine:
Combine the wet ingredients in the bread machine pan. Add in everything else, though make a little well and put the yeast in the hole. Turn on the machine. If you have a GF setting, use that. If not, the regular setting will work. You may need to help mix it up a bit with a rubber spatula during the initial mixing stage. You can also program in personal settings if your machine allows:
No preheat
Knead 1 = 5 minutes
Knead 2 = 15 minutes
Rise = 60 minutes
Bake 50 minutes
Temp 340 degrees

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I will try this!

Anonymous said...

Hi, sounds great! if you don't have a bread hook can i use a regualr hand help mixer?

Snaccers said...

For this bread, I think you can use a hand held mixer. But for most yeast breads, you have to either knead it by hand or use a dough hook. But this bread is sort of loose, so I don't think it will matter